Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What do you get if you divide science by God?


When I was younger, the sciences served a purely practical purpose.  Since the advent of television science has, in my opinion, gone somewhat to the fairies.  I mean, take quantum physics.  When Einstein and Planck were going about their work from which quantum physics originated, it was all about discovering how light particles worked.  Photons... you know....  Next thing we know, scientists are searching for the so-called ' God particle', which apparently gives other particles mass.  And now we have the Templeton Prize, awarded for contributions to "affirming life's spiritual dimension".  The latest recipient of this prize claims quantum physics shows that ultimately reality is 'veiled' from us, and other such poppycock. 
Now, you may think this is non-news, or just plain nonsense.  But what makes it more preposterous, or completely potty and self explanatory (I can't decide which yet), is that the recipient in question is a Frenchman, Bernard d'Espagnat.  Clearly he'd had one or two glasses of vin de table before cooking up that theory.

I do hope you join me again next week for my World View!

Nelson Ramsbottom

No comments:

Post a Comment