Thursday, April 9, 2009

Liberté sur Internet (Freedom on Internet)


The French politicians have rejected a bill which proposed to cut off from the internet the people who are caught three times downloading music illegally. Why 3 times? I really don't know... Could have something to do with the First World War: the famous unluckyness of the third light! Indeed, it is commonly believed that a sniper might see the first light, take aim on the second and fire on the third. Or maybe it is the trinity...Anyway, France stood up to their President Nicholas Sarkozy and said that this bill is a "liberticide".  Also, last month, access to Internet has been defined as an untouchable fundamental freedom by the European Parliament.  I do understand that artists might want to protect their work. I am myself an amateur composer on those rainy days we get on the Island and when I'll put out my albums of French Walzes, I wonder how I would feel about people downloaded my work. Couldn't I live as an artist if people would pay for their download? Maestro Jacques Cuillère? Those are legitimate concerns but forbidding internet access as a punishment is against the French and now European fundamental value of "Liberté". President Sarkozy might have wanted to set a global precedent in fighting internet piracy but not to the expense of our freedom, Mr. President!!! The spirit of "la Bastille" and of the French revolution is still alive!             Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité! And good food!...And wine!...And Women...Beaucoup de women! (Yes, in this order!)


Jacques Cuillère for Méridian 13 News

No comments:

Post a Comment