Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bad Dream Ends In Horror

This is one of the most tragic news stories I have read in a long time. Brian Thomas, a father of two, who suffers from a chronic sleep disorder is on trial for killing his wife while on holiday in Wales.

Mr Thomas dreamt that an intruder had broken into the couple's campervan. He tried to tackle the intruder, but instead strangled his childhood sweetheart and wife of 4o years.

His distressing 999 emergency call after he had strangled her was played in court. In it he said: "What have I done? I've been trying to wake her. I think I've killed my wife. Oh my God. I thought someone had broken in."

The prosecution is asking the jury for a not guilty verdict, on the basis that Mr Thomas' sleep disorder means his behaviour was consistent with the legal definition of automatism. At the time of the killing he was asleep, and his mind had no control over what his body was doing.

Our thoughts go out to Mr Thomas and his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment